The company was incorporated on 12 June 1924. The city of Innsbruck was among the founders. The city contributed the Lake Achen, the concession to improve the Lake Achen power plant and the hotels Fürstenhaus and the shipment business on the Lake Achen to the company. The purpose of the company was to operate a power plant, to operate shipping on the Lake Achen and to operate hotels and other touristic establishments. The company was nationalized in 1947. It became the order to supply the whole country of Tyrol with electric energy. Today, the company operates beside the electric business several other business sectors like gas and long-distance heating, information technology and telecommunication.